Monday, May 21, 2007

How to apply God's Word

I think what it all boils down to is how do we interpret the Word in view of the context (who it was written to and for what purpose), and how do we apply that to us today? In his words, ". .how can we use cultural background consistently in our interpretation of Scripture?"
I thought this statement below was interesting. It is the first one I highlighted.
"While virtually all scholars (from complementarians to eglitarians to traditional critical scholars) acknowledge the importance of taking cultural context into account, on a popular level most Christians do not." My first reaction to that was that he's assuming I'm not smart enough to realize that of course you have to consider the setting for Scriptures. But the more I thought about it, and after reading his footnote on that statement (see p. xx), it's true. Most of us don't have an ancient history degree. I have a vague impression of what life must have been like back then (from some Harding Bible classes and the History Channel), but I don't know all the specifics of what was going on in culture and government back then to really grasp all of what I could. Having said that, I think that God inspired his Word through these different authors, and he knows we're not all going to know the historical background for it. I think we're going to be judged on how we use what we know, which means we have to study to know it (the Scripture). It makes me a little nervous, because I haven't been doing in-depth studying for a while. It also makes me want to know more and study harder.
I'm quite happy to sit back and not have a "leading role" in worship. I've never really felt like that was my gift (though it never crossed my mind to consider it). Before this book came along, the last I had studied this subject, it was put to me in the "equal but different roles" way. I don't remember having any problems with that. The thing that DOES bug me is how we have been so inconsistent in how we interpret Scripture. Who is it that determined that head coverings aren't necessary, but a woman can't even stand up to pass a communion tray, even when she doesn't "lead" the prayer beforehand? It really got under my skin when he pointed out that Paul uses the same argument about "creation order" when he talks about head coverings in I Corinthians (which we all agree doesn't apply to us) and to women "remaining silent" in I Timothy.
I'll have to tell you I'm enjoying this study. It's making me actually use my brain, which like Lara's, has a few rusty gears.
I'm not sure I actually made any points in this post, but it's late (that's my excuse, anyway). I look forward to reading all of your future posts, and know we'll have some good discussion!
Laura
P. S. Here's a funny (kind of) story about when I got married. My great-uncle performed the ceremony. I wanted to discuss the wording of the vows with him beforehand, because I did NOT want to say I would love, honor, and OBEY. I had no problems with the love and honor part, just the obey. I didn't want to promise something I didn't think I'd keep! We didn't really want to write our own vows, just the traditional ones would do, with that one change. John and I went by his house, but his "wedding stuff" was at the church building, and I must have not gotten the message across somehow. In our wedding, he came out with the "love, honor, and obey", and I said it, but I think I crossed my fingers. Is that bad? ;-)

5 comments:

Lara said...

Laura, you crack me up! I am so LOVING you right now!! I think that goes along the same lines as I warned John, like a verbal prenup, that "I didn't iron, and sometimes I'm mean."

I can't tell you how handy that's been. I think you are precious, whether you promised unswervingly to obey your husband or not. Hee! Hee!

Anonymous said...

I had our preacher change it. I didn't say obey. PLUS... I said for richer, for richer! I giggled through the rest of the ceremony. Maybe that's why it didn't last! (actually, I don't think that's why at all!)

The problem with women taking the lead will be that the men will stop leading altogether. You know how a lot of men are. There are men who participate now that would never take part in worship if women were allowed to do the job they do.

Anonymous said...

That's hillarious. I'm going to check back in from time to time. I'm interested in the study you're doing on the role of women. I'm constantly pushing for our group to allow women far more participation in our assemblies. Haven't made much progress, though. I'm going to link you to my blog in hopes that others will take a look at the discussion.

Ben

Anonymous said...

oops, maybe I should get permission to link this book review/study to my blog???? Yes, no? Let me know.

Our Family said...

That's fine